Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Aloo Methi n Spicy Dal Fry



God! Been so long since I’ve posted any .
Actually I’ve not been cooking offlate.
I must admit – I missed it.
I was so stressed out with all this business trip to US n the night shifts.
I started feeling sick of it and decided to give a break.
I wanted to pause, relax n rejuvenate.
I know mid-weekday is no good time to take off but f* it man!
I could no longer continue..
I’ve decided to do some cooking today – its been so long and that was the only way I could relax 
I was actually thinking of cabbage kofta curry – I called up my mom to ask her recipe(Man! She does it awesome – finger licking good – For some reason she always prepared it on my b’day. )
Mom said it’s a lengthy process and since u’re down with flu better try it someother day.
So that was cancelled.
And I wanted to try some quickie yummy.
So I’ve settled for aloo methi and spicy dal fry(with Chana dal)
Aloo Methi slowly picked up and dal was like a cracker.


Aloo Methi & Spicy Dal Fry:
I love to do multi-tasking while cooking and love the way I manage time.
Here it goes

1. Take a pressure cooker – 1 Cup Chana Dal (washed)- little salt, garam masala powder, a bit of cinnamon and a clove. Keep it for boil.
2. Take a pan ; add little oil and heat it.
3. Meanwhile cut green chilies n onions in slices (enough so that you might want to add for dal-tadka n potato too).
4. Now; add jeera, green chillies and sliced onions to the pan
5. While onions are in the process of turning to b’ful pink – take potatoes peel n wash and cut into cubes (Smaller/ thinner cubes and we would not add any water)
6. Divert attention to onions – I’m sure they must be that my fav b’ful pale pink.
7. Add turmeric , ginger garlic paste and salt. Mix it well.
8. Let the onions settle and turn slight brown.
9. Meanwhile wash methi and coriander leaves – wash n finely chop them.
10. Add the potato cubes to the pan. Mix well.
11. Add the chopped leaves.
12. Mix well – wow! The aroma of methi n coriander is mouth watering.
13. Cover the pan with a lid – simmer the stove and leave it alone 
14. Now to the dal cooker – chana dal takes a little longer to cook – so I did not disturb till it whistled 10 times.
15. Take a pan – add oil to it.
16. Meanwhile since I’ve already had green chillies and onions with me – I took this b’ful big fat red tomato. Cut into cubes.
17. For the tampering get ready with shahjeera, clove, cinamon and chopped garlic(I use a looooooot of garlic in my cooking).
18. Come back to the dal pan – I must say this – I add a dash of ghee to the oil. Just for the taste and fragrance.
19. Oil must be really HOT now – add jeera, garlic, green chillies and onion.
20. Yet again I wait for the onion to turn pink.
21. Divert u’re attention to the Potato – mix it – give a gentle touch 
22. Onions might be pink now – add salt , turmeric and coriander . Mix well.
23. Now add the chopped tomatoes
24. Sprinkle some red hot chilly powder.
25. Cover the pan.
26. Come back to the cooker – it might have cooled down now after a steamy affair with dal and the spiced – might have been relieved of the pressure.
27. Open and mash the dal.
28. Check on the tomatoes after 2-3 mins – must be mush and soft.
29. Add water to dal – desired consistency and add to the pan.
30. Check for salt. Key to good recipes is to keep tasting.
31. Sprinkle some dhaniya powder , garam masala and let it boil.
32. Check on the potato – it must be boiled now – sprinkle some dhaniya powder and put off the fire.
33. Dal must stay on boil for 3-5 mins.
34. Just before you serve – add lemon juice to potato.
I served with rice, ghee, Andhra mango pickle n some papad.
Potato and Dal were sold out 

No comments: