Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Roasted Vermicelli Upma

Ahhh it was such a lazy morning today…more over helper did not come and it was such a mess.
Anyways; I prepared vermicelli today for breakfast.
As I’ve been to Monda Market on Sunday; my refrigerator is all filled with fresh vegetables .
Heard vermicelli is good for health; lets put in this way; its not harmless as it is made out of wheat.
My sister in law’s cook prepares it very well; its only after having this cooked by her; I got inspired to prepare it; and yessssssssss !!!!!!!!!!! I declare that I’ve become a master in preparing it. You may wonder what a big deal to prepare a vermicelli ; but IT IS A BIG DEAL , when it comes to taste and the look out of it. My husband simply loves it(ONLY IFF prepared by me) J
Anyways let us start preparing it. Just serves two people.
Take out 1 onion, 1 medium sized potato, Few green chillies,2 carrots, peas . Wash them properly.
Hey this is a roasted vermicelli. I used MTR's roasted vermicelli.
Now slice onion, potato into thin slices.
Cut carrot into small small cubes. ( Before my marriage; I used to cut carrot into small cubes daily. Not to use in cooking; but to feed my dog. That stupid ; loves carrot like crazy. But this is just as a salad. For the main course its just non-veg J )
I so much wish; I had baby corn in my refrigerator; but unfortunately I missed to buy it. Babycorn when added to vermicelli gives a very special crunchy feel; and believe me it tastes awesome J (My mouth is watering at the memory of baby corn)
Now take a sillet; add a bit of oil to it; add cumin seeds . When cumin says chat pat and calms down; add green chillies. When they too stop jumping and making chat pat noised; when it surrenders itself to the burning HOTTTTTTTTTTT oil; add onion slices.
When onion slices leave their rigid look; become soft and blush to the hotttttttttt oil(when onions turn a bit pink) ; its time we help onion a bit more to fall in love with the oil totally.
This is the time; we should add a bit color and that beautiful fragrance to the onions. Add a pinch of turmeric.
Wowwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!! The fragrance and the color refreshes me.
NOW; add our colorful carrot and peas. Mix them properly. Enjoy the colorful and aromatic delight J
Stay for 2 minutes.
In the mean time; gather the amount of bambino/vermicelli; that you want to cook in a glass. In a “ glass” so that you should exactly add the same amount of water to the skillet.
I picked up 1 glass full of vermicelli. Took a similar glass; and poured this water into the skillet.
Add salt as per your taste. Now when the oil and onion; are romantically dancing around the coloruful curtains(carrot, potato and peas) with the aroma’s of cumin and turmeric; (Basically when the water is boiling); add the vermicelli.
Now add vermicelli; as slowly as possible.(This is all that makes the difference).
Just pour down vermicelli in a slow motion; into the romance of onion and oil. (If you got married in a telugu south Indian way ; you’d know the process of thalambraalu; now leave the vermicelli as slow as possible as we’ve done in the first round of thalambraalu. J Later rounds are always fast and furious hehe) I enjoy the feeling of slowly pouring down the vermicelli into the hotttttttt peaaaakkkkkkkkkkk romance of the onion J
Now ; mix all this well with a looong wooden spoon.
Cover with the lid.
Slow the flame to sim; as already lot of heat is created in J
After 3-4 mins; it’ll be done; if not yet done you can wait for 2 minutes.
Experience tells ; when exactly its done.
When its done; put off the flame; take 2 tb sp of lemon juice and scatter over the cooked vermicelli.
Garnish with coriander and serve piping hot.
We just loved it.

1 comment:

RamaWish said...

I already can feel the taste of it!!! So when are you inviting me baby for tasting food prepared by you???