Friday, October 28, 2011

Mushroom in Tomato




Mushrooms are one of my favorites.
I’m a die-hard fan.
The first time I had mushrooms was when I was 10 I guess.
We were in a small town then and was never aware of a “veg” called Mushroom.
It was this “Chinese Restaurant” in Koti(Hyderabad) – Sidartha Chinese Restaurant.
That was the first time I’ve ever stepped in a Chinese Restro  and had everything first time there.  Fried Noodles , Mushrooms . Wow! I can never ever forget that “feeling/experience”. Even now; after almost 2 decaded – whenever I pass by – I miss my heartbeat. As if – it was my first crush. I could never ever get the same taste of those noodles.
Coming to Mushrooms – my husband detests them – and I love them.
And; that does not stop me from preparing these highly nutritious things.

Ingredients:

1.       Mushroom – 200 gms
2.       Green Chillies – Slit : 4-5
3.       Onions – Medium Sized –Sliced – 2
4.       Tomato – Medium Sized – Cut into cubes – 2
5.       Mustard Seed – 1 Tsp
6.       Zeera – 1 Tsp
7.       Curry Leafs – 10
8.       Coriander
9.       Garlic – Finely Chopped – 5
10.   Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1Tsp
11.   Coriander Powder – ½ Tsp
12.   Garam Masala Powder – ¼ Tsp
13.   Oil –  2 Tb Sp
14.   Salt – according to taste
15.   Red Chilly Powder – 2 Tsp
16.   Turmeric Powder – ½ Tsp

Preparation Method:

  • Wash mushrooms with salt added in it.
  • Salt is said to be a good cleanser.
  • Cut mushrooms into cubes.
  • Take a skillet – add oil to it.
  • When oil is hot enough – add mustard,Jeera, garlic.
  • Once they splutter – add green chillies, sliced onions.
  • Let the onions turn slightly brown.
  • Add  turmeric, Ginger-Garlic paste,  finely chopped Curry Leaf and Coriander.
  • Adding chopped curry leaf at this juncture would retain all its iron and goodness instead of burning it off in the oil. I’m somehow got hooked up with curry leaf – and I’m using it at plenty. You may as well skip it and with it all the goodness too .
  • After 3-4 minutes – add mushroom and mix well.
  • Let it sit for 5 mins – now add tomatoes, salt and chilly powder.
  • Cover it with lid.
  • After 5 mins – if required pour some water .
  • It might take 10 minutes for the mushrooms to get cooked.
  • Before you take off add garam masala powder, coriander powder and freshly chopped coriander.
  • Mix well and take off after 2 minutes.
I served this with moong dal and hot rice.
I savored it like crazy. My husband too – a very nice chap – had it without any complaints of disliking mushrooms. I’m sure he relished it – but would not say it.
I remember during my brief stay at Chicago – my bhabhi is an awesome cook – she made this mushroom curry. Simple but was so delicious – I had it as if I’m starved for a month and gorged on it for 2  days.

No comments: