Friday, October 28, 2011

BG - Moong Dal (BG - Bottle Gourd)


I like lentils/Dal/Pappu  as bland as possible.
I dislike any thing that dominated the flavor of Dal and make it weird.
And for me these are a threat – Tamarind (tops the chart), mustard seeds, red chillies.
When I was a kid/unmarried ( J ) : Whenever my mom prepared this typical southy style dal – it was time for me to have my food at neighbors. By God’s grace – since my childhood I always had Sindhis/Jains/Gujjus as our neighbors. It was never really hard on me to consume “tamarind-infused” dal. I used to have peeeka watery dal at Sindhis – simply bland coriander dal at jains and “sweet n sour”-watery dal at Gujjus. And I loved them that way. I literally drink dal. Its really post-marriage the trouble began. My husband is a big fan of Tamarind. And ; I had to change  my aversion for tamarind to a “neutral –peaceversion” L .
Ever since we moved into a new place – as the kitchen is not yet totally set and there were limited resources available – I’ve been making “tomato-pappu”, “palakura-pappu” and the likes with eww tamarind( I don’t even like to touch it) , mustard, red chillies. But now; I reached a saturation poin – a “break-even-point”. I’ve declared to myself and the house – that its my day & my dal. YAY!!!
Eager to find palak /some green leafy veg – I’ve opened the refrigerator. I’ve found this “Kaddhu” in the basket. I recollected – the way I used to savour this plain – bland dal back “pre-marriage” days. One roti and 3-4 bowls of dal – while my siblings stare at me (like an “alien”)

Ingredients:

1.       Moong Dal/Pesara Pappu – 1 Cup
2.       Water – 5 Cups
3.       Oil – 2 Tbsp
4.       Ghee – 2 Tbsp
5.       Jeera – 2 Tbsp
6.       Green Chillies – Slit – 2
7.       Garlic Pods-Crushed/Minced : 5
8.       Onion – Medium Size – Sliced : 1
9.       Turmeric – ½ Tsp
10.   Tomato – Medium Size – Cut into cubes – ½
11.   Kaddhu/Sorakaaya/Anyapakaaya – 200 Gms
12.   Salt as per taste
13.   Red Chilly Powder – 1 Tsp
14.   Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp 

PPreparation Method:
 
  • In a cooker pan – add ghee + oil.
  • When this fatty liquid is hot enough – add jeera, minced garlic, green chillies.
  • After 30 seconds ; add onions.
  • Let onions turn translucent/pink – haldi, kaddhu cubes, tomatoes, dal, salt, chilly powder.
  • Mix well.
  • Add water – cover and let it whistle for 3-5 times.
  • When the pressure is out and it is safe enough to open –
  •        Check for consistency
  •        Taste to adjust seasoning
  • Add more water if you want it to be soupy/liquidy – bring to a boil
  • Add coriander powder , finely chopped cilantro – mix well . 
 
Boom!!! Your’re done. Quickie office-rush hour – yummy dal .
Simply love the bottle gourd flavor in this dal.
I had it with steamed rice n lemon pickle. Was “AWESOME” !!!

No comments: