Friday, November 11, 2011

Karivepaku Rice / Curry Leaf Rice



Karivepaku Rice :
Curry Leaves – my new found love.
I’ve learned it’s a “deal”. Has lots of goodness.
I’m not exactly sure – when did I fall in love with thismagical herb.
Looks so amiable, motherly n cool.
Aroma – makes me mad.
One of those lazy, sick or disturbed mornings – I crushthese leaves and smell them.
Aroma alleviates all kinds of sickness. By nature too - Iheard it’s given to early-pregger women who experience nausea. Said to relieve-the “pregger – nausea”/ morning-sickness.
This is so simple and such a quickie recipe and turns outreally yummyyyy.
I’d term it to be more of a bachelor kind of recipe – forits simplicity. On a busy weekday; this would be a time & money saver J

Ingredients:
  • Curry Leaf – 1 Bunch
  • Green Chillies – 3-4
  • Tamarind – 4-5 flakes
  • Garlic – 5 Pods
  • Jeera – 2 -3 Tsp
  • Salt – Acc to taste
  • Cooked Rice – 2 Cups
  • Dry Coconut Powder – 5 Tsp
  • Cooked Rice - 2 Cups
For Tampering:
  • Oil – 3 Tbsp
  • Ghee – 2 Tbsp
  • Mustard Seeds – ½ Tsp
  • Jeera – ½ Tsp
  • Urad Dal – 1 Tb Sp
  • Broken Red Chilies - 2

Method:
  • Heat oil in a skillet.
  • Add jeera, once they splutter add garlic, tamarind flakes, green chillies
  • Add fresh washed curry leaves, salt.
  • Fry for 5 mins
  • Put off the stove and let it cool
  • Grind this mixture – I prefer coarsely.
  • For the tampering - take a huge bowl – as wewould add curry paste/rice to it.
  • Heat – it and add oil
  • I usually don’t follow any serial order inadding the tampering ingredients.
  • I collect all of them in a small bowl and throwinto the hot oil.
  • I would not have time to add one by one –holding the spice box. I’m rather careless.
  • Once the ingredients splutter – add the currypaste.
  • Add dry coconut powder.
  • Mix well.
  • Now add rice – gradually – keep mixing – such that the curry paste is spreaduniformly.
Serving Tips:
Serve it with curd, raita.
I had aloo kurma in myrefrigerator – I had it with.
Turned out yum combi.

No comments: