Monday, November 28, 2011

Spring Onion & Red Chilly Fried Rice


Wow! This was amazing. It was an innovation. A spontaneous one and I just loved it.

It was such a tiring late evening (almost night I can say). 10:30 PM is way too night ha-ha

I was working in night shifts in the office and barely had any sound sleep since three days.

Y’day was the worse. I just had 3 hours sleep and had to rush to office. Well not office but a team outing to a resort. Though I’ve not been a active participant but the resort and office work took its toll on me. I barely had any energy to drive back to home. Just wanted to throw my slippers off and hit the bed. But; this thing called “hunger” – damn! It’s so pricky. Pricky like a taunting wife (it’s that bad).

My husband too had the same pricky hunger. I was so thinking on what to order (home – delivery) KFC/Biryani/ Subway ---- wasn’t very keen on ordering stuff. Milk n Oats / muesli /cereals. Easy – but … Oh! Damn that but… meanwhile my husband – guess he read my mind – “Let’s not order stuff from out and not go for cereals too – Can you make one of your quickie?”

As an obedient / typical “bharteey naari”(Indian wife) – I agreed.

BOOM! BOOM!! BOOM!!!

Go open the refrigerator – found this fresh spring onion. My favorites. Went ahead thinking I’d make a curry. I’m such a flickering person. I settled down to experiment on some fried rice. I did not find any green chilies in there – hence decided to prepare this pepper-spring onion fired rice. But I ended up with red chili flakes spring onion.

When I prepare fried rice / pulao kinda recipes – I always prefer cooking the rice in microwave. Though I had other stuff in micro hence turned to my good-old-friend – electric rice cooker.

Ingredients:

  1. Rice – 2 Cups (these are Indian cups and quire small – I must say two fistful would make one cup)
  2. Water – 4 Cups
  3. Olive Oil / Vegetable Oil – 5 Tsp
  4. Ghee/Butter – 2 Tsp
  5. Garlic Pods – 10 minced / chopped
  6. Salt – Acc to taste
  7. Pepper – ½ Tsp
  8. Spring Onions – 5
  9. Red Chilies – 5 (Acc to taste)
  10. Ajinomotto (Chinese Salt) – ½ Tsp
  11. Coriander – 1 Small Bunch

Method:

  • Add rice, water, salt to electric cooker and let it cook.
  • Add oil + ghee to skillet
  • Separate the onions and stalks
  • Chop the onions to circles
  • Finely chop the stalks
  • Add garlic and onion to the wok.
  • Let the white folks turn pink – then add finely chopped spring onion
  • Cook for 5 minutes – while stirring randomly.
  • I’ve torn the red chili flakes with my hands
  • Add red chili flakes, Coriander Chinese salt, salt, and pepper to the wok
  • Oh! Wow! What a great color kaleidoscope that was.
  • Mix well
  • Put on the high flame – add rice gradually
  • Gradually adding rice would ensure the whole greens/reds/seasoning is spread evenly

Serve hot.

It was amazing – fresh fragrance, the fibery texture while we chew spring onion. Wow! What an amazing flaovour!!!

I would make it a regular in my kitchen

No comments: