Thursday, November 17, 2011

Erra Kaaram Bheerakaya Pesarpappu

God! Wow what a meal that was.
I had spicy rasam(would post my recipe of this too) with “erra kaaram bheerakaya pesarpappu.”
Erra Kaaram is red chilly powder. Bheerakaya =Ridge Gourd ; Pesarapappu = Moongdal
I usually prepare the ridge gourd in fresh green chillies.
That is pale green and yellow in color.
The one I prepared today looked quite different for two reasons.
R-One : I used red chilly powder
R – Two: I’ve added pesarapappu without pre-soaking them. Instead of mushy looking pappu – I had something which looks like specks of pebbles.
It was more of red and dark green. Dark green as I’m still “in-fling” with curry leaves.
Nothing or no one can take away coriander from me haha
Usually I soak pesarpappu for atleast 30 mins before it goes into the skillet.
Today I had no plan of using it – eventually; without my knowledge I grabbed this jumbo glass jar.I have taken two fistful – and added to the skillet. I did not even wash it – lest I change my mind? There is so much moong dal in the pantry – since we had this party at home last month.
It would be infused with insects if I leave it like that (btw – insects are high protein food).
Hence all this unplanned grabbing. And I do have this “compulsive moong dal disorder” hehehe.
Best part of this curry is – it does not need any stirring once its covered.
I attended to all my house-wife chores – while it being cooked.
Ingredients:
1. Oil – 3 Tb Sp( I’m not a oil freak – I just use so that I can roast my spices)
2. Ridge Gourd – 2 Long
3. Moong Dal – ½ Cup – Actually two fistful would make it one cup I guess
4. Mustard Seeds – ½ Tsp
5. Jeera – ½ Tsp
6. Onion – Medium – 1
7. Curry Leaves – 10 Crushed
8. Coriander – 1 Small Bunch
9. Ginger Garlic Paste – ½ Tsp
10. Turmeric Powder – 1 Tsp
11. Red Chilly Powder – 2 Tsp
12. Salt – 1 Tsp
13. Coriander Powder – 1 Tb Sp
Method:
Heat the Oil in a skillet.
Once its hot – add mustard, jeera
Let them splutter – add finely chopped curry leaves.
Stir – add chopped onions
Let the onions turn translucent (slightly pink)
Add ginger garlic paste and mix well
After a minute – when the gingery smell emanates – add turmeric
I just love this fragrance – turmeric, ginger –garlic and onion
Wow! I love cooking so that I can smell this J
Now add ridge gourd (cut into cubes) to the skillet
I was about to add red chilly powder at this instance – then my eyes fell upon these golden crystals
Moong dal – in a spur of a moment – it all happened
Now; add moong dal – red chilly powder
Taste and adjust salt/chilly
Add enough water – so that the whole thing is just drowned
Cover with lid – put on simmer
Check after 15 – 20 mins
Should be cooked – if not add some more water.
Before you put off – add coriander powder, freshly chopped coriander and stir well.
Serve with roti/rice.

No comments: