Friday, November 18, 2011

Raagi Rawa Dosa

One fine day that was last day morning – I woke up to the idea of preparing a Rawa Dosa.

God only knows why.

And strangest thing was I just thought its Mix Rice Flour(rice ground to coarse powder) and Rawa(Suji)

Did not even google the recipe.

Ground two cups of rice to coarse powder. Mixed some suji in it. Dashed it with some salt . I was vrrooom! Disaster struck when I did pour it onto the pan. I could not remove it and neither did it taste well. I was like WTH! WTH!! It was then I decided its better to google.

OMG! WTH was that! Recipe actually demands the rice flour to be fermented for 3 hours in sour buttermilk or water. Neither I have that time nor I’m such a huge fan of this Rawa dosa. OKAY! Done is Done! What Next???

YAY! Disaster Management! I love to do some quick fixes in kitchen. As I’m super confident I’d turn things edible (tasty too eh J)

First step was to make that yucky looking plain white liquid to color.

Hence grabbed these b’ful round n bright tomatoes, finely chopped coriander, curry leaves and onions

Took them in a bowl – added pinch more salt, turmeric, ginger garlic paste, red chilly powder and generous amount of coriander powder – crushed/mixed them with my fingers. Now this part of crushing with fingers was an expert tip from one our Muslim family friends. This would enhance the taste and flavors are mixed uniformly all across. Aunty told me this while she taught me preparing majjiga pulusu.

And the next step was – to make the liquid more nutritious and bit more tasteful . I don’t know I did not like that bland spread of rice n suji . Hmm while I was still wondering if I should add wheat powder – I found my good friend – Raagi Powder.

To that bland looking mixture – I’ve added the “colourful stuff” and then this pinkish flour.

Guys! I’m such a random cook – I don’t the heck remember the quantities. Its all about to bring the right flavor and the right consistency for a dosa.

Heat the pan – add some oil – splash water (a religious exercise I do without any logical knowledge).

Pour this liquid – around a cup – I used Sambhar Serving Spoon(Ganta) to it.

Oil all around this pan cake ( it can be called pan cake now eh J )

Let the bottom side be roasted and then turn it over.

Stand for a minute

Serve hot with curd/pickle.

My husband was floored by it