Wednesday, February 29, 2012

JackFruit Curry / Panasapottu Kura


Panasapottu kura!!!

I’ve heard a lot about it! Never tasted it!

The other day I’ve been to Angadi and found it. Raw Jack Fruit.

I just wanted to confirm if that was a fruit or a edible thing to make a curry.

I had a malayali aunty, tamil uncle and our own hyderabadi vendor(his urdu was funny though) – explaining me on how to preserve it and started pouring recipes. Recipes in three heavy accents J

I wonder if anything like this would happen in America/ Sort-Of countries.

I thought I’d experiment on it. I’ve googled a lot and finally thought of doing a lil customized version.

I’ve added onions & instead of mustard paste (which should be freshly made) – I’ve added a WeikField one. So do you find it in the picture.

I overdid curry leaves and coriander as usually.

Chopping that sticky – funny looking jackfruit was a challenge.

We should shop it into tiny miny pieces.

Let me quickly write it out

Ingredients:

· Oil – 3-4 Tb Sp

· Mustard Seeds – 1 Tsp

· Jerra – 1 Tsp

· Broken Red Chillies – 3

· Urad Dal – 1 Tbsp

· Green Chillies – 4

· Onion – 1 Medium

· Curry Leaves

· Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 Tsp

· Turmeric – 1 Tsp

· Coriander Powder – 2 TbSp

· Dry Coconut Powder – 2 TbSp

· Weikfield Mustard Paste – 2 Tbsp

· Salt – Acc to taste

· Red Chilly Powder – ½ Tsp

Method:

· Chop/Mince jackfruit (just like cabbage)

· Pressure Cook along with ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste.

· Pressure Cook for around 2 Whistles.

· Pour out in a colander – make sure you let go excess water.

· Heat a pan – add oil – mustard, jeera, urad, curry leaves, broken red chillies.

· Once they splutter – add green chillies, onion

· Let the onions turn lil brown.

· Add ginger garlic paste, salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder: Mix well.

· Now add boiled jack fruit.

· Cover for around 5 mins – let the jackfruit sink-in all the spices.

· You might want to do a quick taste-check and take a decision if you’d like to extend the cover.

· Add coriander powder, dry coconut powder – stir.

· Leave uncovered for another 5 mins.

· Put off the stove – retain the pan on the stove.

· Add mustard paste and freshly chopped coriander: Stir well.

· Let it sit on the stove for around 15 mins.

· Squeeze in lemon juice before serving.

It was just about good. People who’d love mustard – this is great. I had no patience to make a paste of mustard seeds – hence I’ve used the sauce.

Actually to accelerate the taste – I’d try using mustard oil the next time.

I’ve prepared menthe sambhar to go along with this. Recipe for menthe sambar will be posted tomorrow. I’m hungry – gotta drive home and have yet another serving of this strong mustard-jack-curry. PERIOD!

1 comment:

Padmaja Kota said...

Dear Swapna,

I tried this curry at home ,just as you have mentioned. It came out really well. I skipped the lemon juice as I added tomatoes to the curry instead.

Also nowadays we get jack fruit mince in super markets frozen section. Saves a lot of time cutting and cleaning.

Thanks for the amazing post.