Friday, March 2, 2012

Ponaganti Aloo Kura


Ponaganti Kura(Poyina kanti kura). This is highly nutritious . Its said to improve the eye-sight. In Ayurveda; its said to bring back the lost eye-sight. When we were living in a town – it was a staple food.

It was available all over the seasons. I remember my mother used to make this with moong dal. Greens always been my favorites. This curry with hot ghee tainted rotis. Yum! I’d recall all those memorable moments in our b’ful childhood home J

Thanks to this Angadi – I could get hold of this green leaf. There are two varieties in this – one with a lean leaf and the other with broader. Lean leaf is more tastier but hard to get. I’ve got the broader one . Nonetheless it turned out to almost the same yum. I used potato as a substitute for moongdal. Yet again; I overdid garlic. I’ve got the best quality of it from Angadi again. The supermarket garlics are lifeless . These are fatty, round and very powerful. I thoroughly enjoyed mincing them and smelling . My husband was staring at me – while I do that (haha). Well! Its been 4 years since we got married and I’m sure he got used to my madness.

Ingredients:

1. Oil – 2 Tbsp

2. Garlic – minced – 5

3. Green Chillies – Slit Cut – 4

4. Onion – finely sliced – Medium Sized -1

5. Salt – 1 Tsp

6. Turmeric – ½ Tsp

7. Ponakanti Kura – finely Chopped – 5 Kattas

8. Potato – Cut into cubes – Small Sized – 4

9. Coriander – Finely Chopped – 1 Bunch

Method

  • Heat a wok and add oil
  • Add minced garlic, green chillies.
  • After 30 secs – add chopped onion
  • Once onion turn translucent – add turmeric powder, salt
  • Wait for a min
  • Now add chopped potato - Stir well.
  • Add chopped greens – add the greens gradually while stirring
  • This would ensure – all the seasoning is spread across evenly.
  • Cover with a lid. Simmer.
  • After 10 mins – check if the potatoes got soft and stir well.
  • After 10 more mins – it should be done – add finely chopped coriander .

Serve with hot rotis or rice

No comments: