Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Capcicum Kaaram Upma:


Capcicum Kaaram Upma:

Upma - ewww i used to hate it.
This soggy , colorless stuff on my plate - would bring me a nausea.

The usual way of preparing it is plain - tampering, onion, tomato.
Sometimes with ground nuts and chashews - would have drived me nuts.

Pre-marriage - i happily settled for my own kitchdi, oats or skip

breakfast. But never could pull myself to have that. Rare were the occasions when i compromised.

Its just the looks i hated.
So; one day i thought why not make it colorful.

You make food colorful and add some exciting garnishing s when you
have kids at home or kid-like adults at home. I'm one.

"Kid-like-cook". I want my food to be colorful and presentable.
Yea! Looks are important :-)

Hence I've tried upma by adding lil bit turmeric, carrots, peas,
spring onion stalks, capsicums...
Every time i try to overdo some or the other vegetable.
Try to bring some new color/ new flavor and make it exciting.

This time though; i dint have much vegetables freezing - all I'm
left out was b'ful glistening capsicums. Husband loves capsicum.
Hence i overdid it this time. Absence of carrots was "apparent".
Disappointing too.
I was myself not convinced to serve it .

Yay! The creative mind - strictly works only in the kitchen though.
I've laid out these "curry-leaf powder", "garlic-powder" , "sesame seeds powder" on our dining table. Sprinkled these carefully over the upma. They did add all the color and enhanced the taste too.

I relished - totally - and welcomed all those compliments from my husband :-) Blush! Blush!! Blush !!!

Ingredients:

  • Upma Ravva - 2 Cups
  • Water - 10 Cups
  • Ghee - 1 Tb Sp
  • Jeera - 1 Tsp
  • Mustard Sees - 1 Tsp
  • Green Chillies - Finely minced
  • Curry Leaves - 5 - chopped
  • Onion - 1 - small - chopped
  • Turmeric - 1/2 Tsp
  • Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 Tsp
  • Tomato - 1 - small - chopped
  • Capsicum - 1 - Big - Chopped
  • Coriander - Finely Chopped

Method:


  • Heat a wok/pan - roast the upma.
  • Not till the Ravva is brown - just about to roast.
  • Take out Ravva out of the wok.
  • Add ghee to the wok.
  • Add jeera, coriander seeds, green chillies, curry leaves.
  • Stir - add sliced onions.
  • Once onions turn pink : Add turmeric, salt, ginger garlic paste.
  • Stir.
  • Add tomatoes - Wait for 30 Secs.
  • Add water - Bring to boil.
  • Add salt, capsicum, chopped coriander.
  • Taste the seasoning - adjust accordingly.
  • Add ravva gradually - simultaneously keep stirring.
  • Basically avoid lumps.
  • Simmer and cover.
  • 3-5 minutes - it should be done.
  • Place on a plate - season with all those Curry-leaf powder, garlic powder, sesame kaaram powder.
  • Serve hot.

3 comments:

Amarish Mittapally said...

I tried it .. its really taste gr8...

Ravi Kiran Reddy Katkuri said...

Swapna try with dhoddu goduma ravva not with bombay ravva. It is even better..

Swapna Nimbagiri said...

Amy - am glad to hear that.
Ravi - sure the next on my list is Dhoddu Ravva - its nutritious too :)