Monday, March 12, 2012

Ksuri Methi Chicken



Every recipe has a story behind it.
Chicken - reminds of me of sweet cousin.
I invited him and his fiance home for lunch.
I could not prepare a simple pappu charu and chicken curry - by the time they arrived.
It was well past lunch-time already.
I was kind of very slow - Nah! i was not slow but had inertia.
Loads of inertia.
I thought i could never cook.
Now; i can very well cook sambhar/chicken curry in 30 mins.
Its all about managing/organizing/resource planning :-)

Well! Coming back to my memory about chicken-n Gautam Annaya.
He did not discourage me or mock me about my utter inability to prepare a simple meal.
He did show me how to cook chicken in the most simplest way.
Bachelor cooking .
This memory would remain with me for my whole life.
It was a fragile moment - it was like a break / make moment.
I was turmoiled by the fact that i could not prepare a simple meal.
His help meant help/support for the "whole life" :-)

And its during this ahh-sho-shweet cookery session - i've learned the importance of coriander powder. My pedhamma; is a great cook. Especially non-veg. At this moment; if she'd call me
for dinner - i'd run to her place. It was her tip passed to annaya and then to me.
If its non-veg; it has to end with loads of coriander powder. Tried & Tested - would stick to that
mantra all my life.

Its : Chicken - memory back to Gautam Anna - pedhamma's non-veg - Initial post-marriage cooking inertias! Thank God! Gautam Anna was there that day with me :-)

Coming back to this recipe - this built its own memory.
It was Holi, my sister and sis-in-law were with us.
Two lovely b'ful girls playing, lisping and dancing...

My sis-in-law; helped me build this b'ful recipe.
I was just a helper though.

I've learned this tip from her - adding Ginger Garlic paste before the onions turn
pink/brown - is a disaster. It would tend to burn itself and onions too.

Ingredients:

  • Chicken - boneless - 750 Gm
  • Onion - medium size - sliced - 2
  • Tomato - medium size - cubed - 2
  • Green Chillies - Sliced - 4
  • Salt - 2 Tsp
  • Red Chilly Powder - 2 Tb Sp
  • Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 Tb Sp
  • Turmeric Powder - 1 Tsp
  • Kasuri Methi - 4 Tb Sp
  • Coriander Powder - 3 Tb Sp

Tampering:

  • Ghee - 2 Tb Sp
  • Oil - 4 Tb Sp
  • Clove - 2
  • Cinamon - 1/2 Inch
  • Shah Jeera - 1 Tsp
  • Bay Leaf - 2

Method:

  • Heat a wok - add ghee+oil.
  • Once hot - add spices.
  • Add slit green chillies, onions.
  • Let the onions turn pink.
  • Add ginger garlick paste, turmeric, salt.
  • Stir well.
  • Wait for two minutes - add tomatoes, red chilly powder.
  • Cover for 3 minutes or till the tomatoes turn mushy.
  • Now add kasuri methi - stir well.
  • Add chicken(washed in vinergar+salt water) to the wok.
  • Stir well.
  • Check the taste.
  • Cover - simmer - wait till its done.
  • Before taking it off the stove - add coriander powder, fresh chopped coriander.

Serve hot with roti / rice.

Know what - this stuff for some reason tastes better the next day :-)

2 comments:

Ravi Kiran Reddy Katkuri said...

Good simple dish Swapna...

Swapna Nimbagiri said...

Thanks Ravi, try it out :-)