Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Methi Paneer




Cooking this will be a very special memory.
A memory i'd cherish for the rest of my life.

My girlfriend KP came to home for a sleep over.
I was sooooooooo excited.
We cooked together, watched a movie , gossip, makeup :-)

I remember when i was a kid; 11 years and back in town.
A friend of mine - best friend at that time - came over to our home. And it was decided she'd sleep over at our place. I was so excited , happy and all glee. Made bed for her in my room - i've been so mad and happy - i've running down stairs to my mom in the kitchen, grand parents and then to my siblings. Run up to my room again. Like a little puppy. I do remember this huge doberman in my room was confused to seem me running around hahaha. Ah! My childhood home - miss it. Was one of the best houses.

I did nothing less on this weekend when KP was here.
Have been whistling , singing, dancing :)

Most of her life she spend in North.
Loved her palak paneer :)
She is a strict veg and hence paneer.

Cooking together is fun.
I've cut all the vegetables.
She did the initial preparation.
KP used lots of oil - variety is spice of life :)
Seasoning and addendum i've done.

Paneer - i am not sure why is it made complex.
In the sense - whenever i utter paneer - people say its lot of work. One got to make kaju paste/ khus khus paste. Why complicate?
I've stuck to the basics. All i did was add the leftover milk to the curry. It added loooots of flavor. We were like lets get away with dinner preparation. We've made paneer - rotis all in 45 mins and we're done! We then microwaved frozen aloo patties, took diet cokes(as if it'd matter) watched a movie. No huge effort - it was effortless cute and a "bonding-dinner" :-)

Ingredients:

  • Oil - 5 Tb SP
  • Ghee - 2 Tb SP
  • Paneer - Chopped into cubes 200 gm
  • Green Chillies - Slit - 6
  • Finely Chopped Curry Leave - As per your choice
  • Methi Leaves - Finely Chopped - Two Fistful
  • Onion - Medium Size - Finely Chopped - 2
  • Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/2 Tb Sp
  • Tomato - Medium - Finely Chopped - 2
  • Red Chilly Powder - 1 Tb Sp
  • Salt - Acc to taste
  • Milk - 1 Peg
  • Fresh Chopped Coriander
  • Coriander Powder - 1 Tb Sp
  • Garam Masala Powder - 1 Tea Sp
Spices:
  • Shahjeera - 1 Tea Sp
  • Bay Leaf - 1
  • Clove - 1
  • Cinamon - 1/2 inch
Method :

Roast Paneer:
  • Take a pan.
  • Add a 1 tea sp oil/ghee/butter.
  • Roast the paneer cubes - till they are slightly brown.
  • Keep aside.
For Curry:
  • Heat a wok - add oil
  • Once hot - add spices
  • They splutter - add curry leaves, green chillies, onion.
  • Let onion turn pink - add turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, salt
  • Add methi leaves, tomato, red chilly powder.
  • Cover with a lid - wait till tomatoes turn mushy.
  • Add paneer - stir
  • Add milk - Stir.
  • You may add little water to achieve the required consistency.
  • Cook for another 3 minutes.
  • Add freshly chopped coriander, coriander powder, garam masala powder.
  • Stir well.
Serve hot with roti.
We've totally relished it. Somehow it tasted better the next day :-)

No comments: