Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dhahi Bhindi With Budweiser The Beer!!!

Dahi Bhindi:

Y’day was a busy day at office. Around four doleful meetings and then I had to wait for around 20 minutes for the city bus. I was very tired but to my surprise; there was some thing back in my mind ; that was rejuvenating me. Hmm as our home was approaching; the tired feeling was slowly vanishing. I did not find; what was that running back of my mind which automatically made me freah and curious and anxious to go home .

I like the walk that I take to home…walking across swagruha foods(I get to see all this yummy food in the display)-then comes a family garments shop(again this beautiful saris and sexy nighties in the display)-then to pass by a juice bandi, I like the aromas of all the fruits-then I step into our colony. This huge gates opened and I see this Huge trees , creepers full flowers welcoming me. I always wonder do trees/plants smile. Because as soon as I enter into the colony gate; I somehow get this feeling that all those Huge trees in dark and silent creepers are welcoming me with a big smile !!! Childish am i??? What ever but I like this feeling. I walk as slow as possible once I reach the colony gate; looking at every tree and sniffing the flower scent as deep as I can.

I open the gate anticipating our owners and their pet to observe and sit reassured that I’m back home. Its an emotional feeling though; they treat us almost like our parents. I went running to the first floor to meet my cousins at our home. Vicky & Vyshu; are like my our best friends. I rushed into kitchen and then back to refrigerator!!! This was the time I realized what was “it” that was making me more energetic.

While browsing through other food blogs; I came across this Dahi bhindhi recipe. I could not wait longer to try it out. I washed the bhindis in the morning itself and wiped them dry with a cotton cloth. As I’ve learned that this would not make the bhindis gummy.

While I was busy in cleaning up the kitchen, vyshu cut the bhindi into small circled thin slices. Navin and Vicky were busy in making omelettez. Omlettez are four accompanying Budweiser J.

Now coming to the recipe we need

  1. Ladies Finger/Okra – 20
  2. Onion – 1 large
  3. Haldi – 1tsp
  4. Salt-2-3 tsp
  5. Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
  6. Curry Leaves – 10
  7. Cilantro or Kothimeer-1/2 bunch
  8. Curds-4-5 tbsp (made soft by beating with a spoon)
  9. Oil- 4-5 tbsp

Procedure:

  1. Take a skillet->heat it and then add the oil
  2. Once its hot->add karipattha; and when you are satisfied with chatpat sound of curryleaves add onions
  3. once translucent and brown; add haldi
  4. add 2-3 tsp of the finely chopped cilantro.
  5. Now add okra.
  6. Cover with a lid. After 5 minutes; softly turn over the okra.
  7. Cover with a lid.
  8. Time to time keep tossing the okra.
  9. when they become soft; sprinkle few pinches of salt and chilly powder and then toss well.
  10. In the mean time; take the curd into a bowl; add the remaining salt and chilly powder to the curd.(This would ensure the salt and chilly powsder is uniformly mixed with okra).
  11. Once the okra is soft and you are satisfied with the softness; add the curd to okra.
  12. Toss the okras as softly as possible without hardly mixing them with a spoon as they would get mashed over.
  13. Let it remain like that without covering; when you observe that oil is emanating out of okra; sprinkle some dhaniya powder and let it remain for two minutes.
  14. Switch off the stove.
  15. Add finely chopped cilantro over the okra.
  16. Don’t take the skillet of f the stove for two minutes.

Serve with Rice or Chapathi.

This was very quick; it just took 20 minutes.

But I was very skeptical about the recipe; as it became gummy anyway; when I switched off the stove. I could see this ewww kind of expression on vyshu’s face. She was more skeptical than. I was more worried; that these drunk men would not eat properly.

We were watching Manmadha movie while these guys were sipping down Budweiser. That’s an ultimate comedy movie. Vyshu and me were muching on the spicy chips that we got from a Gujju store near by. They are very yummy.

When the Budweiser bottles got emptied finally; I arranged plates and stuff for dinner.

Hot rice, ghee, gongura&pandumirapakaaya pachadi, my own okra in dhahi, and the sambhar that I prepared in the morning.

I served rice, pachadi and then ghee. Hot pipin rice with pachadi and ghee was like heaven, we ate so heartily J . Vicky took a scoop of okra…my heart was racing...i was anxious and worried…he exclaimed that the kura is very good…wow!!!!!!! I felt great J nothing could have made me happier y’day than that compliment J

I quickly took a scoop of the curry; and I loved it. Vyshu and Navin too liked it a lot ….

We ended our dinner with curds and sunnunda that our mausi prepared. I love home made sunnundaas.

Soon I’ll post my experiment in making sunnundaa with photos.

Now thatz a promise J

1 comment:

Rupa said...

hey swapna,
I like your template...the previous one was tough for the eyes...adn nice to see you writing more often...try pics too....good sabzi...i'll try this in the weekend :)