Monday, May 5, 2008

Yet Another Un-Friendly Experience With Toor Dal---Name this Dhal

We’ve been to aunt’s place y’day and she served tomato pappu and prawns. I fell in love with tomato pappu. Today morning I decided to make the same and started out perfectly. But something real bad happened later.

This Toordal which I don’t personally like it so much always gives me a hard time. I keep it on a pressure cook for more than 5 whistles; even then it never gets soft easily. This nasty think has almost spoiled my recipe today.

Procedure for my diverted dal

I took 1 cup of toor dal and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker. Added a pinch of haldi, 2 tsp of red chlli powder; crushed garlic; soaked tamarind and 1 tomato to the cooker. Now I let more than 8 whistles and then turned off the heat. Happy that I am all set with the dal; once the cooker got cool; I opened the cooker; To my chagrin; it dint yet become soft. So I again set the cooker and put it over a stove. Now since I got mad over the toor dal; I let around 15 whistles. I opened the cooker again with doubled joy than before and to my utmost horror; to see that the dal got burnt and dried.

God saved me; that the whole dal dint get burned. Carefully I picked out the dhal from the outer most surface and it turned out a good quantity for us. I dint understand what to do with it. It was dried up and i cant mash it too. I started getting this nervous feeling (kind of awkward feeling) when you dont get the answer for a question in an examination.I grounded the dal just for less than a minute in a grinder with some water added. Now it became like a paste.

Still wondering what to do with it; I took a vessel; heated it; added this dhal paste to it; added more water to the paste; it almost became like a chaaru. And I let it boil ; still thinking what to do.

Then I took this kadaai; in which I usually do the tampering . Kadaai is a cute little ; iron one; which I took from my mother. Its 25 year old one; and I some how believe that its age and the metal adds taste to the tampering. I added oil in kadaai; once its hot; I added mustard seeds, jeera , haldi; kari pattha and red chillies. Added this tampering to the dhal. Now added some salt and sprinkled dhaniya powder over this.

Still unsure of the dhaal’s taste and still unable to get over the unfriendly feeling over toor dhal ; i went out into the balcony to get some fresh air. Though I decided to eat muesli and milk ; but some how I was feeling more hungry than usual. So decided to take rice and the dhal.

I took rice, dhal and paapad in a plate. Still and with multi folded curiosity I mixed dhal and rice and had it. Wow!!!! It was awesome J

Yea hoooooooooooo , I don’t know what to name it….definitely I cant call it as tomato pappu ; some pappu; I still wonder what to name it J

I served the same to my husband without giving any details or the name of the dhal. He too liked it a lot and then I told him this is a agarwal style of cooking dhal as the taste was more nearer to my sangita aunty’s(a marwari agarwal) dhal which I daily used to consume when she was our neighbour.

If any one has any suggestions of the name that I can give to this dhal do leave u’r comment.

1 comment:

Rupa said...

hey swapna,

Do not add tamarind to the dal..cooking gets delayed due to the sourness...and check for enough water...it cooks fairly easy...it shouldn't be a problem...
try this....first two whistles in medium heat and then let the last whistle come over when the burner is in 'sim'....it works this way for me ...hope it works for you too :)